Saturday, May 15, 2010

Practicality

I have always considered myself a practical person.  I buy clothes more for comfort rather than fashion.  I don’t tend to get caught up in the infinity of things as my mother puts it.  I have begun to wonder lately if I am a little too practical.  We recently bought new furniture for our family room.  The couches we had downstairs were at least thirty years old.  We haven’t even been married that long, they were hand me downs and not in very good shape when we got them ten years ago.  When we purchased the new family room suite, the sales person offered us a ‘dispose of your old crap’ option for $15.  I thought about it for a minute and then decided it was rediculous to spend money to get rid of a couch, we could dispose of it ourselves.  When we got the nod from the delivery guys, (which was rather quickly, probably because it was my son-in-law), we hauled that baby out into the garden and sacrificed it to the sofa god. DSCF0205 We lit that sucker on fire.  We doused it with gas and let it burn.  This is not the first time we have done this, I am afraid to admit.  This is the part that makes me wonder if I am a bit too pragmatic, what must the neighbors think, (the one closest to us is a fireman).  That lasted for about two seconds.  It was a beautiful fire.  I can understand why sofas are the main fuel in house fires.  It was awe inspiring.  One minute it was a couch, the next minute it was not, nothing from something, a perfect solution.  Lest you worry about the environment, don’t, we are green, very green.  The room that this sofa lived out it’s life in had green carpet.  No carbon footprint at all,which to me makes about as much sense as global warming anyway. But, lets not go there, I think I am a bit too practical for that. Maybe being practical isn’t so bad after all, especially when you enjoy a good bonfire.DSCF0207

No comments: