Saturday, May 22, 2010

Changes

As some of you may have read in a past blog, we recently purchased new furniture for our family room.  It is fairly nice stuff, leather with recliners in both the love seat and the couch.  It is actually a bit rediculous to go down there and all the recliners are at attention.  This actually doesn’t happen very often, because we forget they are there.  Our family room for years has been kind of a kids den, with crappy couches, gaming systems and T.V.s.  We adults kept our distance, it was neither a necessary or pleasant experience to go down there.  I would only go down there out of dire urgency, like to find shoes, sox and dishes.  Times have changed.  We now have ‘normal’ couches down there, with only the wobbly entertainment center to remind us of yesterday.  This is all very stressful for me.  I can’t get my head around it. 

8279_8279M%20L3-2M-s

You may think this is strange, but for me it is not.  I am a creature of habit.  I have to put my car keys exactly in the same place or I will never find them again.  I don’t think about them.  I haven’t thought about the family room for a long long time.  I forget it is down there.  I was sitting at school during a particularly difficult day of subbing first grade, (I do not recommend this), and I thought, wow it would be nice to go home and sit on my new couch.  I have had to invent things to do down there.  I have to imagine myself sitting down there reading a book, and then thinking, yes, that would work.  I start to stress about the whole thing.  “What am I going to do with that room now that is not a pit?” and things like that.  Don’t despair for me though, I think I am getting the hang of it.  I find that when iI do get stressed, all I have to do is go downstairs and sit on the couch, swing out the recliner, and get comfortable.  I am finding that sitting down there in that soft leather comfort can be enough.  At times I go down there and do nothing at all.  i could really get used to this. 

1 comment:

~PEARL & MAT~ said...

I really feel for you...you are in my thoughts and sympathy's. NOT