Saturday, February 27, 2010

Mud Season

When I learned the seasons in school, I was only taught four, spring, summer, fall, and winter.  I believe this is because the majority of my schooling was done in Utah, where they actually have four seasons.  Had I gone to more than just kindergarten in Wyoming, I would have learned the truth.  There are five seasons.  Spring, summer, fall, winter, and mud.  Mud season is most prevalent in the country, where there is a lot of snow and dirt roads.  I happen to have both.  I live at the a mile of dirt roads.  Mud season starts whenever the temperatures reach high enough to melt the snow.  When this happens, everything turns to mud.

This year is especially bad, because we have the pleasure of welcoming new neighbors who are  building a new house next door and they dug up the road. The gravel is gone and the road has turned into mud slide. The cars are caked in mud, the animals are caked in mud, all of the shoes are caked in mud.  When my nine year old came in yesterday, she left two little piles of mud on the front step, they were her shoes.  When kids get caked in that much mud, the only solution, is to pull out the hose and hose them down.  This solves the immediate problem, but it creates a much larger one.  Once the hoses are back on the spickest after their long winters nap, and the water starts flowing guess what this means…more mud. 

A lot of people say that spring is their favorite season.  The whole renewal of the earth thing.  For me, this is a to close to the mud season and it is ruined for me.  Maybe there is something to be said for living in the concrete jungle especially when new neighbors only bring MUD.

DSCF0133

No comments: